Space and Aliens
This half term we will be learning about Space and the Solar System. We will be using the theme to aid all areas of our learning. We will be writing fact files, writing stories, writing instructions for aliens, sketching and drawing and many more exciting learning opportunities.
- Help you to hear all the sounds your child is learning. Click on to say the sound and you can listen to the way your child should say the sound.
Our class reward system
The children have many ways in which they can be rewarded throughout school for both fantastic learning and behaviour choices. In year one we use the sun and cloud system, the children aim to be on the sun, rainbow or even the money pot. Children are also rewarded with stickers for their jumpers or work. Commendations are given to children for excellent learning and behaviour. The children also work together to gain a piece of our class puzzle. When the puzzle is complete the children will have a whole-class reward. This is a great way for the children to work together as a class.
In Literacy we will be focusing on building up children's use of phonics to write more detailed sentences. Children will have opportunities to write in a range of ways, writing lists, stories, facts and for many more exciting purposes.
At home you could:
• Find out about space.
. Look for different examples of writing
.Have a go at writing a fact file on a planet.
Practice writing topic words from your homework
• Read stories and information texts about space
. Create your own stories and information texts
In maths we are going to be continuing to practise counting skills to ensure we are all counting accurately up to 100. We will continue to practice addition and subtraction, starting to look at going across 10 when we do this. We will start learning how to count in 2, 5 and 10s.
At home you could:
• Count everything, remembering to line them up and move one away each time.
• Practise writing the numbers to 100 correctly.
• Practise counting backwards from 100.
• Ask your child to help you weigh ingredients, could they weigh a portion of pasta for each of you?
• Give your child some money problems, for example; if I buy one apple which costs 10p and an orange for 30p how much will I spend?
• Count items in 2’s, 5’s and 10’s.
• Have a go at writing the day each morning.
Parent helpersWe would be delighted to welcome ‘Parent Helpers’ to hear individual children read. The children love to have this special time and to share a book with an adult. Please don’t be shy in coming forward.